Serving Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Chicago & Surrounding Areas
Abdominoplasty, known more commonly as a “tummy tuck,” is a surgical procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen and to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall. Dr. Shah has found this procedure can dramatically improve the appearance of a protruding abdomen.
Tummy Tuck Photos
Click here to view more Before & After Photos
Results may vary
THE BEST CANDIDATES FOR A TUMMY TUCK
The best candidates for a tummy tuck are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by a large fat deposit or loose abdominal skin that won’t respond to diet or exercise. The surgery is particularly helpful to women who, through multiple pregnancies, have stretched their abdominal muscles and skin beyond the point where they can return to normal. Loss of skin elasticity in older patients, which frequently occurs with slight obesity, can also be improved.
If you feel that you desire to have a flatter abdomen and desire to look more attractive in your slacks and form-fitting clothes then a Tummy Tuck may be the procedure for you.
Dr. Rajendra Shah will meet with you in a personalized private consultation to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Please contact our Oak Lawn and Orland Park offices in the Chicago area to set up an appointment to meet with Dr. Shah.
Drainless Tummy Tuck
For many years, plastic surgeons have used drains after a tummy tuck procedure. The purpose of drains is to help remove fluid from under the skin. The drains typically stay in place a week or when output is less than 30cc/24hours.*
Recently, there has been focus on utilizing progressive tension sutures. The technique helps secure the flap to the abdominal wall by placing precise sutures between the deep fat and muscle fascia. This technique involves more time and skill to place; however, there are multiple benefits. For example, there is a reduction in tension along the scar and studies have shown a reduction in seroma. Additionally, it has allowed surgeons to have the option to not use drains, or keep them in for a shorter amount of time.*
Dr. Rajendra Shah. and Dr. Samir Shah will provide you with an assessment regarding your tummy tuck goals and determine whether you are a candidate for a Drainless Tummy Tuck. Please contact us online or call 708-424-3999 today.
Complete tummy tuck surgery usually takes two to five hours, depending on the extent of work required. Partial tummy tucks may take an hour or two.*
Most commonly, Dr. Shah will make a long incision from hipbone to hipbone, just above the pubic area. A second incision is made to free the navel from surrounding tissue. With a mini tummy tuck, the incision is shorter and the navel is not moved, however, excess skin above the navel is not tightened.
The skin flap is then stretched down and the extra skin is removed. A new hole is cut for navel, which is then stitched in place. Finally, the incisions will be stitched, dressing will be applied, and a temporary tube may be inserted to drain excess fluid from the surgical site.
It does produce a lasting scar which, depending on the extent of the original problem and the surgery required to correct it, can extend from hip to hip.
For the first few days, your abdomen will probably be swollen and you’re likely to feel some pain and discomfort, which can be controlled by medication. Depending on the extent of the surgery, you may be released within a few hours or you may have to remain hospitalized for two to three days.*
Dr. Shah will give you instructions for showering and changing your dressing. And though you may not be able to stand straight at first, you should start walking as soon as possible.
Surface stitches will be removed in five to seven days, and deeper sutures, with ends that protrude through the skin, will come out in two to three weeks.* A support garment may replace the dressing on your incision.
Getting Back to Normal
It may take you weeks or months to feel like your old self again. If you start out in top physical condition with strong abdominal muscles, recovery from a tummy tuck will be much faster. Some people return to work after two weeks, while others take three or four weeks to rest and recuperate.*
Exercise will help your heal better. Even people who have never exercised before should begin an exercise program to reduce swelling, lower the chance of blood clots, and tone muscles. Vigorous exercise, however, should be avoided until you can do it comfortably.
Your New Look
Tummy tucks, whether partial or complete, produce excellent results for patients with weakened abdominal muscles or excess skin. After tummy tuck surgery, patients who follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly should be able to maintain their slimmer appearance.
WHY A NEW YOU PLASTIC SURGERY AND LASER CENTER FOR YOUR TUMMY TUCK?
Dr. Rajendra Shah and Dr. Samir Shah
- Are both board certified plastic surgeons with extensive experience and skill in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery.
- Share a commitment to provide quality and compassionate care to their patients.
- Have thousands of satisfied patients, including tummy tuck patients (View gallery and reviews).
- Provide an in-office surgical suite that is fully accredited by AAASF
- Are both on staff at Advocate Christ Hospital. The office is located next to this premiere medical center.
DR. RAJENDRA SHAH:
- Completed his surgery residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital in Chicago, IL.
- Completed his plastic surgery residency program at Ohio State University in Columbus, OH.
- Is a long-standing member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons and Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons.
- Has made numerous professional presentations and authored several articles on plastic surgery.
DR. SAMIR SHAH:
- Earned his medical degree at the Chicago Medical School.
- Trained in general surgery and completed a plastic surgery fellowship at Loyola University Medical Center.
- Completed a one-year fellowship in hand surgery/microsurgery under the direction of world-renowned hand surgeon, Larry Hurst, M.D., at Stony Brook University, Long Island, NY.
- Has published numerous scholarly articles in medical journals.
- Is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Illinois Society of Plastic Surgery, and the American Society of Hand Surgery.
If you are interested in seeing if you are a candidate for a Tummy Tuck, call our office today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rajendra Shah and Dr. Samir Shah, board certified plastic surgeons. Call 708-424-3999 or contact us online.
*Results may vary and are not guaranteed. Consult with Dr. Shah to see if you are a good candidate.